Long, healthy hair looks even more fabulous with a healthy body! It's easy to get rockin' hair extensions, but losing weight is not as easy.
The answer isn't plastic surgery, it's not a liquid diet, it's not "low carb", and it's not "low fat." (We need certain fats and carbs to be healthy!)
It's simple math: Calories IN - Calories OUT = Your Weight
One pound of fat on your body equals 3500 calories.
I need 2100 calories per day to live, so if I eat 3500 calories more than that per day (5600 calories total), then I will gain one pound per day.
I'm not a size 2 model, but I'm not obese either. My goal is to stay within a healthy body mass index for my height. I hate "diets", and I hate "counting calories" so the way I manage my weight is through 80% Healthy eating and 20% Exercise.
The better you take care of your car, the better (and longer) it runs. Same concept with our bodies!
TIPS FOR HEALTHY EATING:
* Eat "good" calories that contain vitamins and minerals.
* Skip the sugar and the bad fats (bad fats are "trans fats" and "saturated fats" like the kind of in burgers and fries.) These calories are bad for your health, and tend to stick to your tummy and thighs.
* Eat some good fats, because they actually help you lose weight! Include olive oil, avocados, nuts and fish oil in your diet.
* Quit eating anything from a package. Too many chemicals, sugar, salt, trans fats, and preservatives go in them. Start reading labels, can you understand all the ingredients?
* Eat more lean protein like chicken, fish or soy (but skip the creamy, fatty sauces and start cooking with herbs)
* Change to sea salt. You can use less, and it contains essential minerals.
* Bake, microwave, boil or steam. Skip the fried foods.
* Quit ordering takeout so much. Go grocery shopping once a week instead. It's much cheaper, and you can control what you eat.
Use your saved money on a splurge such as hair extensions!
* When you're shopping, go to the veggies and fruits first. (Leave the middle aisles for last because most of that stuff is packaged and full of sugar and preservatives.)
* Prepare ahead: For example, bake 3 chicken breasts and 3 pieces of fish on Sunday, and freeze them. Take 1 out of the freezer each night to thaw for the next day. Add the protein to a carb (like brown rice, wheat bread, or brown pasta), add your veggies, and VOILA, you have dinner for each day of the week!
* Almost 1/2 of your plate should be veggies. The other half is 1/4 protein and 1/4 carbs.
* Eat more color: think RED, ORANGE, YELLOW, GREEN, PURPLE and BLUE
* Raw veggies are the best (think homemade fajitas, tacos, sandwiches, wraps, veggies and hummus, etc.)
* If you HATE veggies and fruit, it's just because you're not used to eating them.
Start slowly by grinding them up and mix them in lasagna, sauces and casseroles, drink V8 juice, make homemade soups and stews, try dried fruits on your cereal/oats, eat jello with fruit in it, make smoothies, make fruit salads and banana bread, etc.
* Start juicing veggies for an ultimate healthy kick start.
* Switch your white flour, white rice and white pasta for BROWN (whole wheat.)
Or mix it 1/2 and half if you think whole wheat tastes too gross.
* Never let yourself get hungry as your body will start to hold onto the fat thinking you're starving. Eat 6 meals a day (3 main meals, 3 snacks) and you won't sabotage yourself. Think of your body as a fire, keep it stoked!
* Learn portion control: here's a fun quiz to get you started:
* Eat from a smaller plate, and eat slower. Enjoy your food! Many people around the world are starving.
* Watch inspirational, and educational TV shows such as "The Biggest Loser", "X-Weighted", "The Last 10 Pounds" etc.
(But don't eat while watching TV - studies show we eat less and feel full faster when we eat at the table with our family.)
* You can drink some wine, have a beer, enjoy some wings, enjoy a sinful dessert once in awhile.
All in moderation... life is a balance!
* If you're eating for reasons such as guilt or depression you need to change something in your life that's making you feel bad.
Eat because you want to fuel that beautiful body that God gave you.
* You don't have to go crazy! Go slowly at first. Start by taking a walk everyday for at least 30 minutes. Bring your significant other or a friend for some quality time! (I got a dog and we learned to jog and bike ride with him)
* As you improve, boost the intensity by jogging one minute, and walking 4 minutes.
* Get some workout videos to work on strength because muscle actually burns calories while you're just sitting around or sleeping!
* Hate workout videos? Then go to a gym, get a personal trainer, enroll in an active class ... whatever you need to do to build some muscle.
And don't worry, it won't be "manly muscle" because women's bodies aren't made for that. It'll be beautiful lean muscle like the people on www.Shape.com have!
* Fat takes up much more volume than muscle does. So when you start building muscle, your clothes start fitting better and you'll look super!
* Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat...So even if the scale doesn't show progress, the way your clothes fit will tell the true story.
* Exercise relieves stress, boosts your libido, keeps cancer away, and makes our hair and nails grow longer.
* Exercise helps to detox our bodies to make our skin glow!
If you follow these tips, you can expect to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week safely.
Life is too short, Don't waste another minute of it!
Get ready for a whole new you!
Please visit the websites in the black box below, for more information.